Are you looking for an easy, fast way to set up Shopify server-side tagging? Look no further than the Stape server GTM app for Shopify. With our app, you can easily insert a web Google Tag Manager script on the website, set up a custom domain and custom loader, send user and e-commerce event data to the data layer, and set up webhooks. All these features will help you make tracking more accurate by prolonging cookie lifetime, making browser tracking resistant to tracking prevention technologies, and sending reliable data to advertising and marketing platforms through the server endpoint.
In this blog post, we'll explore how to configure and install the Stape app for Shopify so that you can use these powerful features immediately.
Server-side tagging can turbocharge the success of your marketing campaigns with precise conversion tracking and user analysis. However, taking full advantage requires a meticulous setup - something nobody should overlook.
To make the implementation of sever-side tagging as easy as possible, we created a Server GTM Shopify app. This app is free to use and helps to easily configure the server Google Tag Manager container for the Shopify store. But first, let’s talk about the main benefits of server-side tagging for Shopify sites.
1. Better data accuracy. Server-side tagging can help ensure more accurate data collection by reducing the risk of data loss or errors caused by ad blockers, browser extensions, or other client-side factors.
2. Accurate conversion attribution. Due to increased cookie lifetime and user data sent through the server, advertising networks can more accurately attribute conversions to marketing campaigns.
3. Improved website performance. With server-side tagging, tags are loaded on the server rather than on the client side, reducing the amount of code that needs to be loaded on the user's browser. This can improve website loading speed, which is crucial for user experience and SEO.
4. Enhanced security. Server-side tagging can help improve website security by reducing the risk of data breaches or other security threats caused by client-side vulnerabilities.
The purpose of the server GTM app by stape is to simplify the process of setting up the server Google Tag Manager and delivering data to server GTM. Our app can work either with stape.io hosting for server Google Tag Manager or with any other, but the plugin's custom loader and cookie keeper features only work when using stape.io hosting.
1. Add web Google Tag Manager script onto every page of the website.
Enable the checkbox Insert GTM snippet and add WEB Google Tag Manager ID. Once done, the stape app will insert a web GTM script into every website page.
2. Add a custom domain.
Configuring a custom domain for your tagging server is highly recommended since it enables the ability to set up first-party cookies. When using a default domain for server GTM, tracking platforms like Google Analytics will set cookies from the domain google-analytics.com. These are 3rd party cookies. In browsers with Intelligent Tracking Prevention, like Safari and Firefox 3rd party cookie lifetime can be a maximum of 7 days. When Google Analytics uses a custom domain, it sets 1st party cookies, which can live up to 2 years.
To turn on this feature, enable the checkbox and add a custom domain.
3. Add a custom loader.
Custom loader is a stape feature that makes Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics scripts invisible to ad blockers. It will work only if you use stape.io hosting for sGTM. To enable the custom loader, turn on the checkbox and add the stape container identifier.
4. Add e-commerce events and user data to the data layer.
Simply enable two checkboxes to send e-commerce and use data to the web GTM data layer.
The list of e-commerce events:
5. Send webhook to the server GTM container.
This feature sends purchase and refund webhooks to the server Google Tag Manager container. Learn more about using webhooks in sGTM in this blog post. To enable webhooks, simply paste your tagging server URL + path to which webhook should be sent and select which event you want to send.
The standard configuration of server-side tagging is straightforward with the Stape Server GTM app for Shopify. The app will help you implement a modified gtm.js script to the Shopify store, send data to sGTM using webhooks, and transmit data layer pushes to the web container.
Using stape.io server Google Tag Manager hosting, you can easily configure a cloud server for server Google Tag Manager. We offer two sGTM hosting options: Global sGTM hosting and European sGTM hosting. European sGTM hosting fits those users who cannot transfer user data outside of the EU and can not use Google Cloud to run the server Google Tag Manager container.
These are the basic steps required to configure server-side tagging for Shopify:
3. Send data to the server Google Tag Manager container. There are three most popular ways to do that:
4. Configure tracking inside the server Google Tag Manager container. Most popular marketing and analytics tools already support server-side tagging and have tags for sGTM. You can find guides on our site to implement those, for example, Facebook CAPI, TikTok events API, SnapChat, Google Ads server-side tracking, etc. Besides, you can use sGTM to enrich sGTM data using Firestore or Google Sheets. Another helpful feature of sGTM is sending offline conversions to Facebook and Adwords.
The possibilities of server-side tagging are expanding rapidly, giving the user a great tool to improve the accuracy of conversion tracking and analytics. In addition, Stape tries to simplify the use of sGTM for our clients, so we release the Server GTM app for Shopify.
Stape server GTM for Shopify is a fantastic tool with numerous features and benefits. For example, you can easily set up tracking on your website by adding a Google Tag Manager script and configuring your custom domain and loader. Additionally, you can send user data to the data layer and set up webhooks.
All these features help make data in analytics more accurate by prolonging cookie lifetime and making browser tracking resistant to tracking prevention technologies. These tools are essential for reliable data transmission through the server endpoint to advertising and marketing platforms.
If you're looking for a fast, simple solution to setting up Shopify server-side tagging, Stape is the way to go. Take advantage of this excellent solution today and reap the benefits of more accurate tracking insights with the Stape Server GTM App for Shopify. Test it out yourself now - we know you won't be disappointed!