HubSpot is an excellent tool for marketers. One of the best features I like about HubSpot is having customer data collected in a single place. It allows tracking your campaign success and customer journey without any problems.
It is no secret that one of the crucial customer data sources is the website. But creating a complete user persona one step before the purchase can be challenging, especially without the HubSpot integration. Fortunately, we can help you find a way around it.
We created a Google Tag Manager server template to integrate the site with Hubspot, create new and update existing contacts, and track custom behavioral events.
Here we will discuss how to use the HubSpot tag for the Google Tag Manager server container to enjoy the benefits of a marketing automation platform without sacrificing the data you need and to make informed decisions about your campaign’s success.
Why should you integrate your site with Hubspot?
Marketers want to increase their website conversion rates. They can do this by analyzing customer interactions with the site and tracking them before and after the purchase. This way, they can identify the factors that influence the user’s decision-making.
As mentioned before, having all the relevant customer information collected in one place is one of the perks of the HubSpot integration and reasons why people tend to choose it over other tools.
HubSpot has many integration options for the most popular platforms like Google Analytics, Facebook, etc. These integrations allow you to attribute ads directly to the Hubspot contacts who interact with them. But how do you add contacts to HubSpot? That’s a relatively easy task if you use HubSpot forms. But what if you have custom contact forms or a CMS that is not easy to integrate with Hubspot?
One of the options is to upload contacts into HubSpot manually. However, it may lead to errors like forgetting to add important contact information.
We have a solution for this — a server-side tag for HubSpot. With our tag for the Google Tag Manager server container, you can integrate your site with HubSpot.
GTM server tag for HubSpot allows to:
- Create new contacts
- Update existing contacts
- Add behavioral events
- Track user activity (in beta)
How to connect your website with Hubspot using server-side tracking
- Create and set up Google Tag Manager server container.
- Send required data to the server container. We have blog posts that describe two methods: sending data using GA4 or using Data Tag.
- Download the HubSpot tag for the Google Tag Manager server container from GitHub and upload the server container. Download a zip file from GitHub -> Open server container and go to the templates section -> Click new in the tag templates section -> Click three dots on the top right corner and Import -> Click Save.
How to create or update Hubspot contact?
4. Create a new tag in the server container -> Select tag type HubSpot -> Select action type -> If you select Create or Update a contact, add API Key and user email -> You can add event information and send custom parameters. Refer to this HubSpot documentation for assigning custom parameters. -> Add a trigger to this tag and save.
5. Open the preview mode and test the event. Check that contact was created in HubSpot.
How to track custom behavioral events in Hubspot?
6. Create a new HubSpot tag -> Select Track Custom Behavioral Event -> Add HubSpot API Key -> Add a variable that contains contact email -> Add Custom Behavioral Event Parameters.
Before adding custom behavioral event parameters, you need to create them in HubSpot. Follow these instructions on how to create behavioral events in HubSpot. Note that you need to add event names and property names in the Internal name format. To find an internal property name, click on the </> on the right side.
7. Test HubSpot behavioral event tag that you’ve recently set up. You should see that tag triggers in the GTM server container and events are associated with the contact in HubSpot.
Server-side tracking is a relatively new and exciting solution in the world of web analytics. It allows you to have more reliable website tracking and set up integrations to help your business work more efficiently. All you need to do is feed relevant data to the server container then use server-side tags to send these data to the endpoint you want.
Interested in setting up server-side tracking on your site? Contact us today so we can get started setting up this powerful tool for your business website!